[nycbug-talk] Fw: OSCON - OpenBSD/CARP slides

dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca dlavigne6
Fri Aug 5 10:36:00 EDT 2005

> From: michael <lists at genoverly.net>
> Date: 2005/08/05 Fri AM 09:02:53 EST
> To: NYCBUG Talk <talk at lists.nycbug.org>
> Subject: [nycbug-talk] Fw: OSCON - OpenBSD/CARP slides
>
> I took the liberty to forward this from misc at openbsd.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 05:35:39 -0700
> From: Jason Dixon <jason at dixongroup.net>
> To: OpenBSD general usage list <misc at openbsd.org>
> Subject: OSCON - OpenBSD/CARP slides
>

> Here are the slides that I presented at this week's OSCON in
> Portland, OR.  They are available in pdf and sxi (OOo Impress) formats.
>
> http://www.dixongroup.net/OSCON/

This was a very impressive demonstration. Afterwards, Jason setup his gear at the BSD booth for a live demo. He'd start an ssh session, a ping and a large file transfer. Unplug the master router, there'd be a slighter higher latency on one ping packet, the transfer continued and the ssh session stayed up and you could see the backup turn into the master. Plug the master back in, backup became backup again. No noticeable packet loss (apparantly it takes 3 packets to do the switchover).

Dru