[nycbug-talk] SSH not working for particular user

Francisco Reyes lists
Sat Aug 6 20:46:14 EDT 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Charles Sprickman wrote:

>> The output from /var/messages is
>>
>> sshd[27236]: error: PAM: authentication error for fran from <my machine>
>
> What's in /var/log/auth.log?  SSHD by default (on FreeBSD) will log more
> interesting stuff there.

Same error.

I actually found the problem.. was planning to send note to list, but
looking into another issue and got caught up. :-(

The rights of the .ssh directory were wrong.
I needs to be 700. I just wish sshd would say something about it..
somewhere.. anywhere.. It's near trivial to fix, yet it could be a few
days before one things of looking at that. :-(