[nycbug-talk] ports. . .

George R. george
Tue Aug 9 21:45:28 EDT 2005

Have an idea, and was wondering what others think on the list.

There are lots of ports and pkgs. . . we all know enough that we don't
know them all, and there are frequently queries to the list that are
easily satisfied by a port or pkg somewhere.

Would it be useful to create an area on the upcoming www site revision
with port reviews?  (sorry to jump in your space MW). . . The idea is
that there's so many ports out there, and over time we all find the ones
we like/need in a desktop or server context, but I know from my
experience, I tend to learn more about ports on this list than anywhere
else.  The other way is that I watch as cvsup updates ports, and think
'hey, that looks interesting. . .'

Dru's comments about porteasy struck me, as did Marc's input on
port-maintenance-tools.

Thoughts on this?

Maybe we could categorize by category or function.  It would be more of
a place to browse and find new things, not a replacement for freshports
or ports browser.