[nycbug-talk] ports. . .

Bjorn Nelson o_sleep
Wed Aug 10 07:02:16 EDT 2005

George,

On Aug 9, 2005, at 11:53 PM, George R. wrote:

> If it was just me commenting on it, it wouldn't really be a NYCBUG
> site would it?  Not to mention pretty limited ;-) . . .  and the
> notion of port build options would be useful, good point.
>
> The intent would be to make it an open forum for NYCBUG people, as
> everyone has their really awesome ports that they can't live
> without, that so many others probably aren't aware of.  It seems
> that the different port systems of each BSD follow the same
> categories (audio, sysutils, etc), so we could group by that.
>
> Let's see what our www master MW thinks about this, since he's in
> the process of overhauling the current site, and is looking to
> launch it soon.

It sounds like a good idea.  It would be nice to have a supplement to
sites like freshports that would be about the port from a commonplace
viewpoint.  It took me a while to figure out you need to install php#
extensions from their individual port directory rather then try to
enable the option from php#-extensions.  Also, I know that make
option has been around for a little while now, but not many port
maintainers seem to use it.

-Bjorn