[nycbug-talk] ports. . .

George Georgalis george
Wed Aug 10 22:16:16 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 07:45:54PM -0400, michael wrote:
>On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:45:28 -0400
>"George R." <george at sddi.net> wrote:
>

><snip>
>> Would it be useful to create an area on the upcoming www site revision
>>
>> with port reviews?  (sorry to jump in your space MW). . . The idea is
>> that there's so many ports out there, and over time we all find the
>> ones  we like/need in a desktop or server context, but I know from my
>> experience, I tend to learn more about ports on this list than
>> anywhere  else.
>
><snip>
>
>How would you lay it out?
>+-----------------------------------------------------------+
>| Ports we find useful                                      |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------+
>|          |             |                  |               |
>| Category | SubCategory | /usr/ports/path  | why I like it |
>|          |             |                  |               |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------+

Hi!

| Ports we find useful                               |
|                  |               |                 |
| /usr/ports/path  | positive hits | expand comments |
|                  |               |                 |

BTW, I keep a master make.conf file that I drop in new hosts.
in addition to the expected stuff, I put lines like this
# /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
which are a note to help me find Makefiles, and remind me what I like
but then I run something like this...

sed -e '/^# \/usr\/ports/s/^# //' /etc/make.conf | grep ^/usr/ports \
	| while read port; do
        	cd $port && make install
	done

Which takes care of building my must have ports. Next step, preset
options for packages like gettext so it works non-interactive.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org