[nycbug-talk] ports. . .

George Georgalis george
Wed Aug 10 22:50:25 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 10:21:25PM -0400, Okan Demirmen wrote:
>On Tue 2005.08.09 at 21:45 -0400, George Rosamond wrote:

>Now another project would be to correlate all the various *BSD ports
>into one location and then let the community help develop ports for the
>BSD's that don't have them yet. Help the *BSD's that way.

isn't pkgsrc a lot like this? As far as new ports go, I'd love to see
a ps and netstat replacement that works like these command lines do in
linux.

ps -e f -o pid,user,cmd --sort=user
30502 root      \_ /usr/sbin/sshd
30504 geo       |   \_ /usr/sbin/sshd
30505 geo       |       \_ -bash
 1346 geo       |           \_ ps -e f -o pid,user,cmd --sort=user

netstat -ptuna
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:515             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      2409/lpd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      766/apache
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:123             0.0.0.0:*                           355/ntpd

notice the nice legible forest (pstree) output of ps, and the inclusion
of PIDs in the linux netstat. Of course (for those that know my story)
my main task is making an openbsd kernel that doesn't rename my ata disk
when I add/remove a sata drive... or just uses partition labels in fstab
to mount the right partition in the right place, sigh, but I've got
other porting from linux issues to resolve </rant>.

...thanks for your python patch Okan.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org