[nycbug-talk] nfs client fbsd 5.4

Tillman Hodgson tillman
Fri Aug 12 15:52:30 EDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 03:47:28PM -0500, max wrote:
> On top of this, may be you should consider afs or coda? NFS is pretty slow usually.
> migration is a pain, but it would be worth it.

I'm a huge fan of Kerberos-enabled technologies like AFS, but it's not
going to work well on FreeBSD.  OpenAFS is in the "you might get it
compile and run without crashing.  Maybe." stage of the game. I'd love
to use OpenAFS for distributed portions of my file serving
infrastructure but I basically have to migrate to RHES to get the sort
of community support that I'd need. FreeBSD seems to be a second or
third tier platform with that project.

NFS is both well-understood and fast when tuned properly. I have posted
some benchmarks to various FreeBSD mailing lists that google should be
able to turn up. Interestingly, it's possible to get
faster-than-wire-speed file transfer with NFS if one uses IPsec in
transport mode running both compression and a low-CPU-overhead
encryption like blowfish. That particualr example is from a UltraSparc 5
client running 5.x to an Intel celeron 900 running 4.11, so we're
definitely not talking about fast or modern CPUs. It hit about 105% of
wirespeed if memory serves correctly.

-T

--
Painted cakes are real, too.