[nycbug-talk] Monitoring programs

pete wright nomadlogic
Fri Aug 19 16:51:46 EDT 2005

On 8/19/05, Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv.com> wrote:

> Going through the ports see a whole batch of monitoring packages. Any
> recommendations?
>
> In particular looking to monitor disk, memory and a couple of directories.
>
> So far I see on ports
> cfgstoragemk-1.0_1
> MRTG configuration generator for storage monitoring via SNMP
>
> cricket-1.0.5_1
> A high performance, extremely flexible monitoring system

works well for us here, we track a considerable amount of services with
cricket (we tie it into our nagios setup).

nagios-1.2_2,1
> Extremely powerful network monitoring system

also quite good, although frankly the configuration system can turn into a
mess for a large number of systems. I would suggest getting a perl/DB front
end for it. we monitor a *huge* amount of machines with nagios and aside
from having to edit some header files to accomidate our hosts it runs pretty
great.

In my experience nagios seems to be the most flexible and robust solution
going, it can be a pain to configure but by the same token you can get it to
do alot of different things (SNMP checks, scripts, etc..). For the type of
checks you want to run, this may be your best bet as most of those checks
already exist or are online as plugins.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~