[nycbug-talk] Newbie can't boot server - needs person or shop in NYC with mobos & CPUs to troubleshoot

Charles Sprickman spork
Fri Aug 19 17:05:48 EDT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, George R. wrote:

> Francisco Reyes wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, George R. wrote:
>>
>>> I have been dealing with GCS for probably 10 years now. . . and Lee there
>>> made a funny point to me once.
>>
>> Another vote for GCS. Ever since George mentioned them to me some year+ ago
>> have ordered about 4 system from the for clients and 1 personal. So far it
>> has been a great experience.
>
> My comment wasn't so much about GCS than about name-brand vendors versus
> no-name vendors.

[...]

> Alex isn't dead wrong on the issue of buying Dell, and simplifying your
> acquisition.  And they certainly have better support than many unknown
> smaller firms.  But for those who regularly order hardware and do system
> configurations, it's not only usually cheaper, but also you can really know
> what's inside and adjust according to your needs.

I'd just like to clarify that Lee will "build" a system, so it is a
preconfigured "package" that he will warranty as a unit.  In the case of
the Supermicro SuperServers, those are essentially the same as a Dell as
far as having a bunch of stuff designed to work together.  I only specify
drive brand/size and processor speed.  The thing ships from SuperMicro
with the board and everything in place; Lee's guys just add CPUs, memory,
and put drives in the hot-swap carriers.

Charles