[nycbug-talk] Monitoring programs

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Fri Aug 19 18:13:10 EDT 2005

On 8/19/05, Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv.com> wrote:
> Going through the ports see a whole batch of monitoring packages. Any
> recommendations?
>
> In particular looking to monitor disk, memory and a couple of directories.
>
> nagios-1.2_2,1
> Extremely powerful network monitoring system

get the 2.0 branch, dead stable at work and where you should be.  You
need to not put it in /usr/local, unless you are running
netbsd(housekeeping issue).

now for service monitoring/trending take a look at smokeping, dont
know if it is in ports though.

Also most monitoring solutions use snmp, you may or may not want that
to be turned on.

And while rrd, cricket & smokeping etc, is way cool it does result in
data loss by design.  You may just want to stick data in postgress or
sqlite and crunch what you want out of it, avg and max disk usage by
hour for example.  I have done stuff like this in hpux using rexec +
df+ awk with charts drawn in excel to show the bosses, many years ago,
it was not that complex.

Happy hacking,

marc