[nycbug-talk] OSS now FREE for home/personal use

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Sun Aug 21 00:09:24 EDT 2005

On 8/20/05, Kevin Reiter <tux at penguinnetwerx.net> wrote:
> Marc Spitzer wrote:
> > On 8/20/05, Kevin Reiter <tux at penguinnetwerx.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Not sure if anyone's been keeping up with this or not, but in order to get
> >>some newer soundcards working (like my Audigy II) on FreeBSD or
> >>DragonFlyBSD, this is one of the best ways to go.  As of yesterday, it's
> >>now FREE.  w00t!
> >>
> >>http://www.opensound.com/
> >

> > it said it requires you to download the software every 4 months and I
> > did not see a licence posted.  It did say you can use it for personel
> > use for no charge.  I do not think that this is free for a BSD group.
> > Personelly I do not think GPL is free, but that is another rant.
>
> The EULA is at the end of this post for those interested.
>
> As far as being "free for a BSD group", I was merely letting people know
> that there is now a "no cost" oss sound driver available for *BSD.  Much

Well 4 month download and install cycle is a cost, unless the end
users time has no value.

> the same as when people make suggestions on software for a particular
> purpose.  It wasn't meant to indicate that everybody on this list can join
> together en masse to get in on a deal on a particular piece of software -
> hey, if you need it, it's now free for personal use.  If I have to check
> every 4 months for an update, so be it.  It wouldn't be any different
> than, say, running cvsup on the ports collection every week, or checking
> for patches, or stuff like that...

The difference is the *requirement* to do so.  Also if they change
there policy any time they want and since I must accept the new policy
or stop using the product.

> Personally, if I don't have to whip out my credit card or reach into my
> pocket for cash in order to get software I'm looking for, it can't be all
> that bad, regardless of the license (and who is going to knock on my door
> if I forget to check for new versions every x interval?).

or it could turn itself off/nag screen/eat your MBR all sorts of fun stuff

sure it can.  Think if by installing something you grant rights to
collect personnel data and let it be sold.  Think legal email
harvesting for an easy one.  Since spamers are going to jail for using
hot addresses a new source has great commercial potential.

> Bottom line:  Sound on my workstations/laptop so I can get rid of M$ and
> replace it with FreeBSD.  For me, it's worth it.

I was not arguing with your choice, but with your use of language

And as far as the licence goes I really like the use of such a bold
threat in the licence, such a good opinion of their clients.

I wonder what their help desk is like?

marc