[nycbug-talk] Fw: Que and Sams Open Source User Group Newsletter

michael lists
Wed Aug 31 18:32:42 EDT 2005

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:53:46 -0500
Subject: Que and Sams Open Source User Group Newsletter

--- Welcome to the Que and Sams Open Source User Group Newsletter
Welcome to the Que and Sams User Group Newsletter, we will bring
you up to date on our new publications and special promotions each
month. This newsletter is designed to draw Que and Sams Publishing
closer to our user groups and user groups closer to us. The program
offers benefits to groups that include book discounts, review and
library copies, event support, and access to the authors and
experts that make our books indispensable tools for technology
professionals and enthusiasts.

Become a member of our exclusive team of Reader Reviewers! Que
and Sams Publishing is establishing a team of reviewers to provide
valuable feedback and suggestions on current and new releases.
Such customer feedback allows Que and Sams to continue
publishing the best new titles available on technology. It also
helps professionals and students learn about books they might
consider for their workplace training and studies. To become
a part of this team, please e-mail
readerreviewers at samspublishing.com.

------------------------------------
Featured Book
------------------------------------
Sams Teach Yourself Unix in 24 Hours
http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672328143

If you're in need of a tutorial to learn UNIX from the ground up, this
is it. Sams Teach Yourself UNIX in 24 Hours, Fourth Edition will let you
experience UNIX through hands-on tutorials divided into 24 one-hour
lessons so that you can learn the most common UNIX tasks at your own
pace. The author will guide you through the basics of maintaining and
manipulating a UNIX/Linux operating system. This hands-on approach will
allow you to work through the exercises and grasp common UNIX/Linux
concepts, including:

-Using the Command Line
-Listing Files and Managing Disk Usage
-Slicing and Dicing Command Pipe
-Shell Programming
-Printing in the UNIX Environment
-Using telnet, ssh, and ftp
-Perl Programming in UNIX

Gain the fundamental knowledge you need to begin working with UNIX with
the help of Sams Teach Yourself UNIX in 24 Hours, Fourth Edition.

------------------------------------
Featured Book Coming Soon
------------------------------------
PHP Phrasebook
http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672328178

If you were traveling in Spain, but couldn't speak Spanish very well,
you'd probably carry a Spanish dictionary with you. If you are a PHP
developer who needs a portable reference guide for frequent use in your
job, the PHP Phrasebook is perfect for you. The PHP Phrasebook is
actually a pocket guide that is jam-packed with useful and essential PHP
code "phrases" for the PHP developer's everyday use. The code is
flexible, so it can be easily adapted to your needs and mulitple
situations, and your time isn't wasted wading through chapters of
tutorial lessons and extraneous information. The phrasebook covers PHP 5
and is relevant for PHP 4.

------------------------------------
Promotions
------------------------------------

40% Off Select Sams Teach Yourself titles at Barnes & Noble stores in
August! http://www.samspublishing.com/promotion/1540

Take a Trip to Tuscany with Dan Giordan
http://www.samspublishing.com/promotion/2173

See All Promotions
http://www.samspublishing.com/promotions/collection.asp

------------------------------------
Upcoming Trade Shows
------------------------------------
Show				Date		Location
------------			------------	------------
Zend PHP Users Conference	October 18-21	Burlingame, CA
AARP's National Event and Expo	Sept. 29 -Oct 1	New Orleans, LA

------------------------------------
Just Released
------------------------------------
Red Hat Fedora 4 Unleashed
By Paul Hudson, Andrew Hudson, Bill Ball, Hoyt Duff
http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672327929

Sams Teach Yourself Red hat Fedora 4 Linux All in One
By Aron Hsiao
http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672327074

Novell Linux Desktop 9 Administrator's Handbook
By Emmett Dulaney
http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672327902

See All Just Released Books
http://www.samspublishing.com/bookstore/browse.asp?n=1cbd305f-d503-49fa-9699-8b2c06c9c520&b=newrelease

------------------------------------
Coming Soon
------------------------------------
Linux Firewalls, 3rd Edition
By Steve Suehring, Robert Ziegler
http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672327716

Novell GroupWise 7 User's Handbook
By Eric Raff
http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672327899

Novell ZENworks 7 Linux Management Administrator's Handbook
By Ron Tanner, Richard Whitehead
http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672327848

See All Coming Soon Books
http://www.samspublishing.com/bookstore/browse.asp?n=1cbd305f-d503-49fa-9699-8b2c06c9c520&b=comingsoon

------------------------------------
Sample Chapters & Articles
------------------------------------
1. Battle of the Movie-Making Tools: Why Windows XP Movie Maker 2 Beats
Apple's iMovie HD  By Matthew David
Aug 19, 2005
http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=377090

2. Get Organized with Word's Outline Tools
By Peter G. Aitken
Aug 19, 2005
http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=404839

3. Strategies for Adding Home Automation Features
By Mark Soper
Aug 19, 2005
http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=398089

4.. Exploring ISA Server 2004 Tools and Concepts
Aug 15, 2005
http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=410690

5. Moving About the File System
Aug 15, 2005