[nycbug-talk] openbsd in kernel pppoe stability

bruno bruno
Wed Aug 31 23:12:27 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 06:51:07PM -0700, pete wright wrote:
> hey all,
> i've been running my soekris box with openbsd to connect to my dsl router
> (which is in bridged mode) for my main 'net connect. i've been having
> *serious* connectivity problems, so bad in fact I've got a cron running
> every five min's to check my pppoe interface. if it's down it bring's it
> back up (does the whole ppp authentication dance). yuck! i was assuming that
> in kernel pppoe would be better than using a userland implementation. i'm
> hoping that i'm still correct, my first assumption is that covad sucks and
> so does my dsl router. but before i waste a night on the phone with covad,
> has anyone had any stability issues with 3.7 and in kernel pppoe setups? i'm
> using a real vanilia setup...pretty much strait from the man page. nothing
> crazy going on in pf land either...some filtering and redirection.....

Check the misc list, there is a lot of posts about same / similar
subject, you might find something that you can use there. I've only
done userland ppp, a while ago, probably before they put pppd into
kernel, maybe try that one. Unless your email means you already went
from userland to kernel, in hope it would work better. :) At that
point, it might indeed be something else, like a crapy dsl bridge.
Have you tried sniffing the local net, might give some insight.