[nycbug-talk] lame...real lame Andy

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Wed Jan 12 16:39:58 EST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:17:56 -0500, Aron Roberts <aron at slam.cc> wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but unless you modify the library you should
> be able to link against whatever you want with no repercussions from
> the GPL. Even then you would only be required to share your changes to
> that library.

you are wrong, you are thinking about the LGPL. and that one letter is a
whole world of difference.   The short answer is if you link against GPLed code,
even shared libs, you have just GPLed your code and everyone down stream can
demand all the source code you have that touched(linked against) the GPLed code.

> I sure like the BSD license better however I am not sure that you are
> right in this case.

It depends on what you are trying to do for RMS GPL is better then
LGPL and LGPL is better than BSD.  I disagree with his goals so I
disagree with his ranking.

BTW top posting is considered rude, it makes things harder to read for
the rest of us.

marc