[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz
Tue Jan 18 14:28:11 EST 2005

On 1/18/2005 11:54 AM, Isaac Levy wrote:
> So I've got a hardware question some folks here may find fun.

[...story of woe...]

Data points:

- We use a m0n0wall here at my office for various and sundry things, and
it's a bit squirrelly to set up, but it is featureful and does a lot of
weirdo stuff that we need.

- I just bought and installed an Asante' firewall/router COTS box for my
in-laws. The hardest part of dealing with that box was routing the power
cable to their extension cord. I plugged it in, and it worked. Just like
that. The web interface is >eh< but unless you're doing a lot of custom
stuff (port redirects, etc.) something like this is fine.

- At home I run an oldskool Netgear FP114. It, too, "Just Works". Before
I moved in November, it had been up since the power came back on in
August 2003. (15 months, is that right?).

> Biggest requirement: the router must simply run, with as little
> ike-interaction as possible, as not to disrupt my other regular work.

Given this, and the cost (these firewall gizmos are under $50 now)
unless you really just want the 1337-factor of building your own, just buy.

> .ike

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman        jbaltz at omnipod.com    +1 646 230 8750
Thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.