[nycbug-talk] apache stability

Bob Ippolito bob
Sun Jan 23 02:22:09 EST 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, at 23:46, Isaac Levy wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2005, at 10:55 PM, steve wrote:
>
>> In your opinion is apache2 ready for production use, am looking at a
>> setup that includes php, perl, and ssl.
>
> This topic is hard to give a definitive answer about- it's worth
> discussion, and I'll throw out my experiences with it-
>
> Basically, Apache2 is solid software, but it's initial
> production/stable debut was riddled with a few massive security holes
> that left me (and lots of folks) shaky- sucked hard to go back when I
> was already in the process of updating/migrating all the systems I was
> currently working in...
>
> On the other hand, it *is* the Apache which the Apache foundation is
> sitting on as the 'live' branch, though there is still a lot of
> ongoing work for 1.3.x, insomuch as half the world runs it still...
>
> I'd like to see the world get over and move to 2.x, insomuch as I
> found it to be filled with smart and elegant features- and nicer ways
> to go about many things- (mod_ssl is default module, for example).  In
> addition, on some platforms and under particular loads, the
> multiprocessor (threaded) compile-time modules provide INSANE
> performance if applied in the right context.

I think that mod_php had some problems with threading, I'm not sure if
these are completely resolved or not, but they probably are by now.
Another thing is that Apache 2 supports WebDAV out of the box, and some
extensions are only available for Apache 2 (mod_dav_svn for example).

> On the other hand, 1.3.x, if your doing standard stuff, (like it
> sounds like you are), is still likely the simplest to manage, insomuch
> as there's years of relevant docs and info online for 1.3.x, within
> nearly every tech. culture online.  Hard to move away from what I feel
> is one of the most widely supported Open Source softwares, supported
> by the masses of the world using it.

In my experience most of administration/configuration stuff is the same
between 1.3 and 2...  It's not like they went and changed everything,
most of the changes were internal and matter most to developers of
Apache extensions.

The only place I use 1.3.x is on my Mac OS X boxes cause it's there by
default, and they don't serve anything interesting.  Everywhere else I
use Apache 2 specific extensions or features.

-bob