[nycbug-talk] thoughts, issues, and ideas.

steve steve
Mon Jan 24 10:06:54 EST 2005

Hi all,

hope you had a safe commute, and a safe weekend. this weekend i thought
allot about how to compose this email, and have yet to find a proper way
to state whats on my mind. so please bear with me, and hear me out.

Last week i posted a question to this group regarding my configuration
of php. i got a few great responses, and recommendations. i also posted
  another question this past weekend about the question of stability of
the apache 2 release, again i got some great responses. but i have some
issues with this group that i would like to clarify, and that in my
opinion can make this group better as a world respected tech resource,
(if thats what we want).

i belong to various mailing lists, including but not limited to postfix,
rt, apache, sunmanagers, nylug, and of course this one. from a technical
prospective, sunmanagers is one of the worlds most respected mailing
lists out there. postfix is pretty much up there too. the reason these
two lists have such a highly respected view (and not only to me) is
because they discuss technical issues related to the mailing list. on
the sunmanagers list, if i were to post a question on how to set up
apache on freebsd, i would be told that we do not answer such questions
here, but i will get one and only one such email from the list
moderator. on the other hand if i were to ask a question regarding
anything that incorporates solaris Os, or Sun hardware, i would get the
authorative answer from somebody on that list.

last week somebody on the postfix-users mailing list posted the
following question
"Hi everybody!!!!!!
I need help to compile postfix under OpenBSD with SASL and MYSQL
support.  Is anybody can help me???????"

the first answer that came through was as follows

"cd /usr/ports/mail/postfix/stable && env FLAVOR="sasl2 mysql" make
install clean

That'll install 2.1.5 with MySQL and SASL support."

which is the perfect (in my opinion) answer to the question. nobody
responded with google for postfix on openbsd, nor with www.openbsd.org.
the question was a technical one and the answers were the same.

another list i belong to is the nylug, which in my opinion (and i hope i
do not infuriate anybody here) is more of a meeting place for people
that like, know about, admin, or otherwise are involved with linux in
general. it is not a place that i would go to for in-depth technical
questions, which is a shame, because there are some great minds there.

and now i come to this list. the nycbug general list. on the homepage of
the nycbug there is not charter of organization, the closest i could
find to a charter is the following "This is like-minded people getting
together under a single interest." which to me means that nycbug is a
group of people that as the nylug group are involved with the bsd
variants in some way or another, and that this mailing list is more for
discussions and is very open. which is fine with me (but who cares). and
when i do try to bring up a technical question the responses are
negligible, for the php question i think i got 4 responses and one was
that i should asks the folks over at nyphp group. when i asked the
apache question i also got 5 responses, yet only two answered my
question. the other three, one told me to go elsewhere because they
might better answer my question, the next one told me that openbsd froze
their apache at 1.3.29 for license reasons. all i wanted was to start a
discussion that would involve the members of this group, and i was
looking for personal opinions, you the people of this group are
technically astute, and most if not all have apache running in some
form, why cant we just have a technical discussion where we point out
what worked for us and what we recommend. i can (just as well as you)
read all about apache on various pages, but the thing that makes this
field, (meaning unix, bsd, and linux) different is that we share what we
learned the hard way with one another.

  i would like to propose that we create a separate mailing list called
bsdmanagers, and take the rules that are applied to the other purely
technical mailing lists, namely only technically bsd related question
are allowed. and if i ask a question about my php on bsd, i wont get
told to go to a different group to ask that question. i would like to
see the nycbug lists become world renowned for technical questions and
answers for anything that involves the bsd world. and if you dont know
or dont want ot answer then dont.

for those of you that read this all the way i thank you, and hope that i
did not piss anybody off. i do not have anything against the nylug, or
any other group out there. and yes i had a coffee today already, and
slept pretty well last night, so this is not just a rant, it is a
thought out and intentional email. i do not know if i have the right to
do this but i am proposing that the membership votes on whether we can
create a managers/technical mailing list.

PS. for those of you that want to respond to me please do so, there is
no reason to rant to the whole list if you take offence to anything i said.

Thank you once again for your time,

Steve Rieger