[nycbug-talk] Samba and Mac OS X problem

George Georgalis george
Tue Jan 25 16:13:46 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 12:16:34PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:10:23AM -0500, Kevin Reiter wrote:
>> : When I try to mount cross on the Mac, it asks for authentication, I type
>> : in the cross user name and NT domain password.  It then just asks for
>> : reauthentication and won't mount the share.  When I do this with the
>> : smiths folder (cross is a member of smiths) it mounts without trouble.
>> :
>> : What stupid thing am I missing here?  I have the feeling it's one of
>> : those things where I have looked at it so long I'm overlooking something
>> : obvious.
>>
>> Have you added that user as a Samba user on the BSD box? (smbpasswd -a user)  I've
>> run into that same thing on a Windows network and curse myself for not remembering
>> to do that step.  Don't know if that'll work (if that's the issue) but it's what I
>> always trip over..
>
>No, I don't miss that one anymore.  (I have often enough.)  :)  The user
>cross authenticates with the smiths directory without problem.  I wonder
>if it's some peculiar Mac thing that I simply don't know.

to get it done, you might mount cross via nfs to localhost in smiths.
or it may be easier to create a new mount point just for cross...

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org