[nycbug-talk] shared hosting

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Fri Jan 28 07:33:54 EST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> > Oh, and go count how many BSD' completely *distinct* userspaces are
> > out there compared to linux. (Hint: fbsd, obsd, netbsd at least. I
> > don't know how many other splinters appeared last year, picobsd,
> > dragonfly etc who all have *different* userspaces). At least with
> > linux, everyone sticks to the original package source.
>
> Actually the main difference is in admin land(the part of user land that
> you use to manage the box) not user user land. now with that said:
> redhat suse debian gentoo And I do not track the 872+ splinter distros
> of linux
What admin land? distro-specific tools? Nobody really uses them.

Original argument was that "BSD does less in kernel space than linux". You
are switching gears in order to avoid admitting you were wrong ;)

> have absolutely nothing in common as far as administrative tools go they
> are flat out incompatible and for the ones I have used( redhat, debian,
> suse) have absolutely shitty man pages and information separated into
> all sorts of weird ass places on the system and not on the system.  The
> box is not up and they did not even bother to put accurate info in a
> consistent format on it so you can fix the fucking problem.  Now lets
> get into the fact that as far as I know they all use the standard linux
> file system lay out, about which the kindest thing I can say about it is
> it was laid out by a mosquito snorting ddt, absolutely no separation
> between core functionality and all the other stuff.  this design
> actually is actively hostile to keeping a system up and running.  And
> then there is the dance of the flipping
Gee, its a religious issue. There's a layout you are used to, and there's
layout you aren't used to. It seems crazy to you, but others might
disagree.

> libraries and kernels, to get x up you need version y of glibc and that
> breaks z, that you also need up.  Quality control on the stable branch
> of the kernel is a *JOKE*.
Yeah well.