[nycbug-talk] Fwd: RE: need help asap, will pay, ms vpn client

George Georgalis george
Wed Mar 16 17:45:03 EST 2005

Thanks much to George R's suggestion. Preliminary tests work: port
forwarding tcp 137,138,139,445 from gateway box to samba share box, on
private lan, works.

My preliminary was to do tcp only port forwarding of said ports to a box
behind it running samba. The client is not able to "browse" discover the
share, but if the (gateway) hostname, user and password (samba host)
is specified, the client can mount user homes from the samba server
through the firewall via tcp only (the protocol calls for tcp and udp
137,138,139).

This means, a roaming windows client can setup (putty) ssh -R tunnels to
a remote gateway which allows for smb connections from localhost to the
private smbserver. So the roaming client can specify, via "netuse" the
gateway as the location of their shares and mount the protected samba
share through the encrypted tunnel.

Details of that last paragraph no doubt need be revised... anyone with
ideas for the installation, please let me know, on or off list.

Below is the sum of an extended issue getting linksys vpn going...

----- Forwarded message from George Georgalis <george at galis.org> -----