[nycbug-talk] Zeeking Zope aZZiZtanZe

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 12:12:07 EST 2006

On 3/10/06, N.J. Thomas <njt at ayvali.org> wrote:
> * Jim Brown <jpb at sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net> [2006-03-09 20:20:38 -0500]:
> > I'm getting started on a small project and would like to do it in
> > Zope+Python.  I'm looking for anyone who can help me struggle through
> > the first few hurdles and give me some guidance.
>
> This is not so much advice on how to clear hurdles as it is a plea to
> not run in that particular race altogether.
>
> Zope is one of those things that sound great in theory, and because it
> is sold as a two for one with Python, people are eager to try it out. I
> love Python, I use it every single day, and it never ceases to amaze me
> how simple, elegant, and powerful it is.
>
> I can't say the same for Zope though. About 4 years ago, the place I was
> working for at the time had me setup up a Zope/Plone site. It took us
> roughly 2-4 months to set up the site, integrate it with our
> applications, debug, etc. (Even at the end of that period, we weren't
> really finished, we just decided to roll it out anyway.) I wasn't
> terribly pleased with Zope, since I could have done what I wanted to
> with Apache, mod_python, and custom code in a quarter of the time.
>
> Perhaps we were not using Zope/Plone to its full extent, or perhaps Zope
> was not what we needed, but I heard similar stories from other Python
> users. One would think that a fairly complete understanding of Python
> and CGI, and HTML, and how web technologies work in general would be
> sufficient to be somewhat proficient in Zope, sadly that was not the
> case for us.
>
> Perhaps Zope will work out better for you, but chalk me up as a vote
> against it.

uh oh...here comes the flame fest ;-)

heh, just kidding, although I've heard some very good things about
zope/plone; and I know there are some some hackers on this list as
well that have done some pretty awesome things with.  although granted
i'm not much of a web dev, at the end of the day i'm more of an
admin...

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~