[nycbug-talk] soho firewall

Jeff Quast af.dingo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 09:32:50 EST 2006

nobody has yet recommended wrap http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap.htm

It cost me just under $200 for a WRAP.1C-1, 2 LAN with DC adapter,
alluminum casing, and 128MB CF card after S&H (to US). from
http://www.mini-box.com/

a 3-LAN version is only a few more dollars.

I found it more cost effective than soekris, probobly more suited for
you, as the cheaper costs is likely due to no 2.5" IDE adapter, and
only one serial port. Like the soekris, it has a 266Mhz Geode onboard.
It seems to be supported just as well as the soekris in BSD and
gnu/Linux.

I've seen threads on openbsd-misc and Soekris-tech that even adding a
PCI crypto card to the soekris does not significantly improve crypt
for vpn. Though it is supported (at least on openbsd), there is
something to say about the bus and cpu speed of the soekris and high
interrupts of the onboard NIC's being at fault. In which case a via
may be more suitable (though more expensive?)

Does anybody know if there such a thing as a cost effective miniPCI crypto card?