[nycbug-talk] blowfish FreeBSD passwords

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 17:44:06 EST 2006

On 3/22/06, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
> Hi Ray, Mikel,
>
> On Mar 22, 2006, Isaac Levy asked:
>
> >> Hey All,
> >>
> >> QUESTION:
> >> --
> >> Just on my mind today- has anyone seen any talk of blowfish password
> >> hashes being set as default in FreeBSD?  It's standard on OpenBSD
> >> right, but I'm annoyed today as I setup a bunch of new boxes and have
> >> to manage one more thing...
> >>

> On Mar 22, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Ray Lai wrote:
> > Paper: http://openbsd.rt.fm/papers/bcrypt-paper.ps
> > Slides: http://openbsd.rt.fm/papers/bcrypt-slides.ps
> >
> > -Ray-
>
> On Mar 22, 2006, at 5:03 PM, Mikel King wrote:
> > Ike,
> >
> > Dru did a nice set of articles on O'Reilly, and isn't there a chapter
> > in BSD Hacks on this as well?
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> --
> Thx. for the resources guys, much appreciated- but that's not my
> original question.
>
> My original question is: has anyone heard anything about FreeBSD
> changing to blf as a default instead of md5?

Ike, i have not heard anything yet...although I'm sure patches to
sysinstall would be welcome ;)

on an easier note, would it be possible to supply the blowfish
password stuff in script that you can pass to sysinstall....check out
sysinstall(8).  now i've never tried to extend it in such a way so
take it FWIW.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~