[nycbug-talk] jails: manipulating interface? (was Re: running nfs client?)

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Thu Mar 23 18:17:08 EST 2006

* Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> [2006-03-17 17:09:54 -0500]:
> > Is it possible to mount an NFS filesystem from inside a jail?
>
> Outside the jail (host system) + you are able to mount the nfs volume
> from the host, at a mount point within the jail instance userland.

This is what I ended up doing. Thanks for the info!

> > if NFS inside a jail is doable, I would presume that running amd
> > would work as well?
>
> I would think so, but I've not done or seen it.  Give it a shot?

We were running this on a 5.4 system, and for whatever reason, mounting
from inside the jail wouldn't work , regardless of what I set (sysctl)
security.jail.getfsstatroot_only to. No biggie though. However...

I've run into another problem when I was done setting up this particular
jail. The program that I am trying to get installed inside this jail
works by directly manipulating the network interfaces. Is it possible
to run "ifconfig [if] inet [ip] netmask [netmask]" inside a jail?

thanks,
Thomas

--
N.J. Thomas