[talk] USB wireless: a quick note

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Jul 16 23:14:44 EDT 2014

Charles Sprickman:
> On Jul 16, 2014, at 9:28 PM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> I have to use wireless USB on a certain laptop due to the idiotic BIOS
>> whitelist.
>
> I stumbled on this recently while googling (dont own a laptop with
> these shenanigans, but was curious about what people do to
> workaround the issue):
>
> http://www.endeer.cz/bios.tools/bios.html
>
> I suspect its a little dated, and Im assuming youre talking Lenovo,
> which you may not be.

Lenovo I am.

> Oh, this looks more recent:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card
>
> Looks pretty neat, hopefully they havent made the checks more
> complex in later models.

So there's a bios fix for it... from a third party dev.  But I need to
reflash it since I updated to a more recent BIOS.

In the spirit of laziness, I went USB wireless.. .but I'll flash again
at some point.

Utterly foolish attempt at "security"... I mean, is this a measure
against someone swapping your wireless card?  Was there some wave of
this happening at some point?  Childish. . .