[talk] Cloud and Colocation: Good Timing

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Jun 5 19:38:16 EDT 2014

On 06/05/14 16:15, George Rosamond wrote:

> I thought the meeting worked out well.. the security/privacy issues with
> Cloudism are significant, but I also don't believe in building a straw
> man argument around it.

I missed the meeting last night - but this is a really important point
to make.

by building a strong well reasoned argument for when *not* to use a
"cloud" environment i think more people will be willing to accept it's
downsides.

i hate to admit - but there are valid use-cases for using AWS and the
like.  I use it all the time to run new open source code, prop-up POC
clusters and generally just muck about with computers.  those are all
things where i really don't care too much about 3rd parties intercepting
my communications.

the one thing that kills me about how shit like AWS is marketed is that
it's this magic panacea - IMHO there is a lot of grey area in there that
needs to be acknowledged on both sides of the debate.

-p

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org