[talk] Ike try bsdrp in place of pfsense

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Thu Nov 6 00:34:00 EST 2014

On 5 Nov 2014, at 21:28, Mark Saad wrote:

>> On Nov 6, 2014, at 12:15 AM, George Neville-Neil
>> <gnn at neville-neil.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 5 Nov 2014, at 21:10, Mark Saad wrote:
>>>
>>> Ike
>>> Like I said in your talk try bsdrp . It's 10-stable before 10.1 .
>>> You can roll your own bits as needed .
>>>

>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsdrp/files/BSD_Router_Project/1.52/
>>
>> BTW The next pfSense is based on FreeBSD 10.
>>

> Gnn are you using the newer pfsense ? If so on what hardware ? What
> has your experience been like ?

Stating up front: I am hacking on pfSense (actually FreeBSD with PF) for
the NetGate folks.

I have not deployed it in a production environment but the performance
of 10 over 8
(which is pfSense 2.2 vs. 2.1.5) in the lab shows a marked improvement.

If you want to see the raw numbers from my work with packet filters on
FreeBSD
you can track the gvnn3/netperf project on github.  The work is all
sponsored
by Rubicon Communications which is the company that's doing all that
work.

I'll be putting more tests and results up in that project.

Best,
George