[talk] Cheap Laptops/Netbook

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Sep 16 09:10:03 EDT 2014

Sujit K M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am on a look out for new laptops preferable running FreeBSD or OpenBSD.
> I am looking for the cheapest 100$ to 500$. Preferably 100$ - 250$.

That was my quest for years.

I have to say the first and only laptop where it didn't just hibernate
but actually resumed was OpenBSD on a thinkpad x120e.  It's awesome.
Battery life is great.  I think it's the ideal laptop in many ways.

I run snapshots, and there was a period in which resume didn't work, but
that's what happens when you run snapshots.  You deal or you don't run
snapshots.

ACPI and APM never worked on any laptop for me with FreeBSD, although I
still run in on other Thinkpads.  When I say *never*, I mean a bunch of
laptops for a long, long while.  Utterly frustrating.

> I was quite impressed with the below video.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZlVO8SFcns

There's loads of these projects out there.

> I wanted to know whether there are resellers of Rasberry PI Portables.

there's lots.  adafruit or if  you're in NYC, microcenter in Brooklyn
and Yonkers.

The BeagleBones are better boards overall, though.