[talk] Recency of FreeBSD books

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jul 30 20:34:21 EDT 2016

Inspired by the Installfest this coming Wed (Aug 3), I am in the process
of trying to install FreeBSD 10.3 in a VirtualBox VM running on my
Ubuntu Linux 14.04 x86_64 machine.  The instructions at
https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/freebsd/how-to-guides/installing-freebsd-with-virtualbox/
have so far been easy to follow.

Once I have that installed, then I have to start to learn FreeBSD.  When
I do internet search, I come up with these titles by people I've
actually met at NYCBUG or NYC conferences:

Michael Lucas, Absolute FreeBSD, 2nd ed, 2007.

Dru Lavigne, The Best of FreeBSD Basics, 2007.

2007 -- nine years ago.  Are these books sufficiently up-to-date for an
autodidact?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan