[talk] opnsense box for home: APU2 or something else?

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Tue Dec 19 21:29:12 EST 2017

________________________________
From: George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com>
To: talk at lists.nycbug.org
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [talk] opnsense box for home: APU2 or something else?

N.J. Thomas:
> Looking to pull the trigger on an OPNSense box for home. Cheap and low
> power are probably my two main requirements.
>
> Currently eyeing the APU2, which looks to be about $190. If anyone's got
> any other suggestions, I would love to hear it.

Not to jump into the vendor game, but $190 is high.

http://pcengines.ch/newshop.php?c=4

How low can you go

Check out the used hp t610 thin client 25 - 40 bucks
https://www.ebay.com/p/HP-T610-Thin-Client-Units/1766188673

Dual core 64Bit cpu 4G ram and 16Gssd with 1G bge nic. both pci-e and compact pci-e .

I have also used the t5630 and t5620 . If you dont want to run OpenSense all of the models
work well with NetBSD and OpenBSD as well.

-- Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com

talk at lists.nycbug.org