[talk] Video streaming setup

Pat McEvoy mcevoy.pat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:01:24 EDT 2017

> On Jun 27, 2017, at 7:55 PM, Sevan Janiyan <venture37 at geeklan.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
>> On 06/27/17 05:02, Pat McEvoy wrote:
>> Yes. That is the cam I use. Keep it close to the speaker and you will
>> pick up speaker and good room reaction. Audio board feeds are always
>> better to get but can be hard to get set up. Do you know if they have
>> an audio guy?
> I can ask, what's an audio board??

Usually part of the PA system for the room. If you are lucky, the BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT may have assigned some A/V folks for the event. ( considering the venue, you may be in luck) The sooner you talk to them and ask about the audio, the better. You may be able to arrange an audio feed of the PA system. This is always the best audio solution. Just get the right audio adapters and feed the audio into the laptop line in, assign the line in as audio feed in the streaming software and you are ready to go.

If audio feed is not possible, place the camera as close to the speaker as possible and angle it toward the slides. I use a clamp like this to provide a sturdy base for the cam:
https://www.tesco.com/direct/roughneck-ratcheting-bar-clamp-separator-450mm-18-inch/564-1046.prd?skuId=564-1046&pageLevel=sku&source=awin&awc=7090_1498679492_c8acf0bf75a97b1610c63b4bff87cc43&sc_cmp=aff*awin*gmo*http%3A%2F%2Fintu.co.uk_209011&utm_medium=gmo&utm_source=affiliate_window&utm_campaign=aff*http%3A%2F%2Fintu.co.uk_209011

If you have a proper camera tripod I believe you webcam has a threaded mount at the bottom. That solution would also work.

> Pretty impressed by the camera, plugged it into a G4 PowerBook running

Great little work horse. Wrap it in a microfiber cloth to help keep the camera  lens fingerprint - free

> Tiger, it worked in ichat (including audio). Just got it working on my
> MacBook Air running FreeBSD 11.1 using cuse4bsd-kmod, webcamd & cheese
> from ports.
>
> What application are you using to stream with?

So far I have only used the Adobe flash media encoder. There are other options but I would not be informed enough to get you up and running on them for Saturday. I will send you the settings we used with good results off list.

https://offers.adobe.com/en/na/leap/landings/fmle3.html

I am exploring other options and will share them with you when they are ready. ( perhaps pkgsrcCon 2018?)

What has worked for me:
Do all your setups and make recording using the streams you plan to use the day of. (I have lovely 5 min videos of my Airbnb crash pad from BSDcan)

Get the FTP login info and pull down the test file when it has finished processing on the ScaleEngine system. This is usually an hour after you finish recording.

Best of luck and be sure to publish the stream link on your con website and to this list if possible.
I hope you found something helpful in this.