[talk] FreeBSD laptop advice

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Fri Oct 9 14:25:39 EDT 2020

Brian
 In a similar vein as Pete I have a Thinkpad x250 i picked up second
hand on ebay for about 200 USD. It runs FreeBSD and OpenBSD with much
issue. The biggest
headache is the touchpad.  See this site for some good advice on
FreeBSD on the x250 but much of it applies to other models in general.
https://www.c0ffee.net/blog/freebsd-on-a-laptop/
Other than that it came with a 1440x900 something lcd and 250G
spinning disk. I swapped out the LCD for the 1080p which I found on
amazon for ~75USD
and I used my old desktop SSD . All in all I spent about 250 - 275 I
don't exactly remember.  But in short I am happy with this Thinkpad as
a FreeBSD laptop. I have used HP, Dell and Acer
laptops in the past, I personally think the Thinkpad had the least
amount of weird crap .