[talk] RSA DSA challenged (again)

ori at eigenstate.org ori at eigenstate.org
Mon Oct 14 15:19:14 EDT 2024

So, while I'm a layman, this smells fishy on a number of levels. From my recollection:

- There isn't any quantum advantage for most symmetric algorithms, including AES.

- D-Wave quantum computers are still adiabatic, which (IIRC) means that they can't
  be used for grover's or shor's algorithm -- and therefore, they're not useful for
  cracking public key algorithms.

- Finally, if I'm wrong about the above two points, if RSA can be attacked, then
  so can elliptic curves. We'd need to move to lattice based cryptography or isogeny
  curves. something like ML-KEM (formerly known as Khyber). or NewHope.

Reading the SCMP article, it sounds like they managed to attack some simple s-box
like algorithms, but not AES. I'm not sure what this has to do with RSA. I'll have
to dig up the paper later, but I think this is probably not an imminent threat.