[Tor-BSD] Hi new list/Recommended operating platforms

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Tue Feb 19 14:52:02 EST 2013

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, George Rosamond wrote:

> On 02/19/13 09:24, Brian Callahan wrote:
>> Hi everyone --
>>

> And 'hi' to you too Brian.  I was going to wait until it was announced
> to broader audiences, but no need to delay.  The archives are online.
>
>> As mentioned on the NYCBUG Announcement list, the only BSD recommended
>> by the Tor Project is FreeBSD 5.x or higher, despite there being ports
>> for the other BSDs. Does anyone know where I can find the Tor project's
>> rationale behind that?
>>

> First thing I'd note is that one of the weaknesses of Tor's network is
> that it's overwhelmingly Linux, and thus a monoculture.  There are OSX,
> FreeBSD, Windows and OpenBSD relays out there, but I think enabling the
> BSDs to be a better performing platform would help diversify the base.
>
> A very useful list:
>
> http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/

OK, so looking over this list, it looks like all the major BSDs are
represented to varying degrees (even the Bitrig guys have a cluster
running on Bitrig).

According to that site, it looks closer to a biculture of Linux and
Windows, but I admit that this could be deceiving, and it's really a
monoculture of Linux.

> So it's in the FAQ:
>
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#RelayMemory
>
> But AFAIK, all the BSDs have lower performance than the Linuxes with
> Tor, and I only started recently to dive into the related sysctl knobs.
> Then again, benchmarking is another big path to dive into...

This should be relatively easy to diagnose, and quite possible that some
of the information on that FAQ is outdated (i.e. is Tor on
OpenBSD/NetBSD/Solaris still forking processes instead of using threads?
Again, should be relatively easy to at least diagnose).

I don't have the spare hardware to test this myself atm (nor do I have an
ISP nice enough to let me run a Tor relay) but if someone out there is
running Tor on OpenBSD, I'd be interested in your outlook on this.

~Brian