[Tor-BSD] This list...

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Jun 13 15:07:17 EDT 2013

We haven't had a lot of chatter on this list outside of a few posts,
despite there being a good number of people subscribed.

However, I am reasonably sure this list can fill a gap on a number of
levels.  Most importantly, looking at optimization of *BSD boxes running
Tor.  More generally, it means creating more diversity in the Tor network.

If you look at the numbers at Metrics.
https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html#platforms, you get a sense
of the big picture.

On that note, I'd be curious to hear what others are up to.  I am
personally involved in running a number of (non-exit) relays and
bridges.  Some of the bridges are running for years at this point.  Two
of the relays are in the NYCBUG cabinet, one FreeBSD and the other
OpenBSD run by someone else on this list.

Maybe we could spark some discussion on configuration list members are
using.

Linus on 5/29 mentioned the kern.maxfiles and mbuf sysctl knobs.

On the OS level, I would argue strongly for using RAM-based mounts (md,
tmpfs) for partitions such as /var/log, tmp, and so on, along with
AvoidDiskWrites in the torrc.