[Tor-BSD] NYCBUG OpenBSD tor relay - May update

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Tue May 28 13:08:44 EDT 2013

On 5/14/2013 1:38 PM, Brian Callahan wrote:
> Hi tor-bsd --
>
> Here's the monthly update of the NYCBUG OpenBSD tor relay:
> * Officially named nycbug1.nycbug.org (or NYCBUG1) if you want to look
> up stats.
> * Updated to Tor 0.2.12-alpha.
> * It's sending about 46 GB/day and receiving about 45.5 GB/day.
> * If you're looking to run an OpenBSD tor relay of your own, I suggest
> raising ulimit -n. I'm not sure what is best at the moment, but ulimit
> -n 1024 doesn't seem to be good enough.

Update on the ulimit -n thing: raising ulimit -n to 8192 looks like it
does nicely.

Thanks to George for pointing me to this thread:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.tor.relay/1705

With ulimit -n 8192, the OpenBSD relay now sends over 54 GB/day and
receives about 53.5 GB/day. This seems to be a significant improvement
from running ulimit -n 1024 (sending 46 GB/day and receiving 45.5
GB/day). But I realize that's unscientific and other factors could be at
play.

But ulimit -n is something to keep in mind when running an OpenBSD tor
relay.

~Brian