[Tor-BSD] Tor Messenger

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Nov 2 06:18:49 EST 2015

George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> If you haven't heard, there was a recent beta release of Tor Messenger
> (https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-messenger-beta-chat-over-tor-easily/
>
> There is more movement towards reproducible builds but obviously for
> those trying to port Tor Messenger, source is necessary, and it is
> located on the Tor gitweb at
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-messenger-build.git/tree/.

Note that unless you have an unlimited amount of time, building on
"unsupported platforms" is not recommended by upstream and source
tar ball are apparently too much to ask for:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-July/009000.html

Therefore Ricochet seems to be less hassle to port (and might even compile
of of the box if Qt is already working):
https://ricochet.im/

> I followed some of the chatter about Tor Messenger on the Tor-talk list.
>  If you read the README on the gitweb, it seems that it's a Docker-based
> solution.
>
> I was looking at what it would take to port it, and all went black. I
> noted recently on this list another trend which worries me in the PETs
> scene: this notion that some level of virtualization is a security
> enhancement.  I ranted already about it before, so don't worry, I won't
> repeat my rant.

My impression was that the Docker stuff is merely used to make
it easier to get reproducible binaries and is thus unrelated to
the trend you're worried about.

Fabian