[Tor-BSD] Performance loss migrating Linux -> FreeBSD

failure failure at openmailbox.org
Sun Apr 10 05:57:24 EDT 2016

Hello,

thanks for your answers.

> [notice] We were built to run on a 64-bit CPU, with OpenSSL 1.0.1 or
> later, but with a version of OpenSSL that apparently lacks accelerated
> support for the NIST P-224 and P-256 groups. Building openssl with such
> support (using the enable-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128 option when configuring
> it) would make ECDH much faster.

Yes this message appeared in the tor log (no other error messages
elsewhere). Now I installed OpenSSL from ports and disabled pf (I know,
two knobs at a time...). Max throughput increased to ~80 Mbit/s not
hitting full CPU load. With this configuration the server seems to be
back at the linux max. performance.

Now I enabled pf again with some "quick" keywords added to the ruleset
and am waiting for ~24h to see what happens.

After that I'll test Marks suggestions one at a time and maybe also give
libressl a try.

I'll report back when finished.

Thanks again!