[Tor-BSD] simple bandwidth scanner: sbws

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Oct 29 02:34:04 EDT 2018

> On 22 Oct 2018, at 10:39, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
>

> Conrad Rockenhaus:
>> Are there any hot spot areas in the world where this tool especially could
>> be in place? Like Asia Pacific region or that sort of thing?
>>

> The current bw scanners are concentrated in North American and the EU.
>
> If you scroll down https://consensus-health.torproject.org/, you'll see
> the current list of bw scanners.
>
> Again, it's not a general role in the Tor network anyone can take on.
> We relay on a handful of well-known individuals.

The bandwidth scanners are used for load-balancing, to ensure tor clients have
decent, reliable performance. The system needs some tuning, that will be easier
with a more modern codebase like sbws.

Moving scanners to other regions is one of the things on our list after sbws 1.0.
It carries significant network performance risks if it's not done well.