[CDBUG-talk] mount_smbfs question

Jonathan Franks jonathan.franks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 09:19:32 EST 2005

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea why I would be running in to a
problem when trying to use mount_smbfs to mount shares on win2k
servers that are on different subnets from my FreeBSD box. I have no
trouble doing this for servers on the same subnet. Here are the
specifics:

We have several vlans set up in our Cisco 6500 switch. right now the
two in question are vlan 10 and vlan 20 (10.10.x.x / 255.255.0.0  and
10.20.x.x  / 255.255.0.0)

I have an IBM 300PL running FreeBSD 5.3 Release on vlan 10 that I'm
using for various things. It's primary job right now, though, is
finding and deleting files of various types in student home
directories and a few other places on the network that are accessible
by the students. To do this I am mounting the windows shares, and
running a simple script that I wrote.

All of this works fine for the student home directories, which are on
a server on vlan 10. Recently I've been trying to expand to another
share that the students have been filling up with mp3's and such. This
share, however is on a server on vlan 20. I expected to be able to use
the same command to mount this share, however it is not working.
Here's what happens:

I'm able to successfully mount the first share using:

mount_smbfs //user at server/share /mnt/mount_point

however when I try this on the vlan 20 server I get:

mount_smbfs: can't get server address: syserr = Operation timed out

So I referred to the man page, and this led me to try :

mount_smbfs -I 10.20.0.100 //jfranks at iccps/pshop /mnt/ps_pshop

but this returns:

Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Connection reset by peer

So, using -I seems to get me a little closer, in that it at least
prompts for a password. I've tested with several servers across the
network, and without exception the ones on vlan 10 work perfectly, and
those on any other vlan behave as above. I am able to ping all of the
servers using either their IP address or their dns name. Nonetheless,
on a whim I tried adding them to /etc/hosts, but this had no effect.

Anyhow I'm running low on ideas for this so I thought I'd throw it out
to you guys to see if anyone might have an answer. Any thoughts?