[CDBUG-talk] OpenBSD 3.9 released

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Wed May 3 08:39:03 EDT 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Patrick Muldoon wrote:
> On May 2, 2006, at 11:17 PM, Craig Dooley wrote:
>
>> I have always felt that the install of OpenBSD is kind of a pain,
>
> Blasphemy,  the install is perfect :) and much appreciated when
> trying to install it over a Console connection on a Sun (which
> coincidentally, I will be doing in a couple of minutes).

Hehe...

I think the biggest problem with the installer is that using disklabel on
i386 machines (thus requiring DOS-like partition tables) isn't entirely
intuitive.  But it has improved over time - I haven't had to get out a
calculator to find partition boundaries in a long time now.

If you use the whole disk for OpenBSD and you aren't trying to multi-boot.
it's really dead simple.

But when you netboot a Sun machine with a serial console, you really
appreciate the straightforward installer - bare metal to running machine
in a few minutes.

--
Jameel Akari