[CDBUG-talk] Slow webmail

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Wed May 20 08:35:24 EDT 2009

Further testing came up with some interesting results.

SquirrelMail on host X and point IMAP to localhost = slow

SquirrelMail on host Y and point IMAP to localhost = not slow

SquirrelMail on host Y and point IMAP to host X = not slow

SquirrelMail on host X and point IMAP to host Y = not slow

So it *seems* to be something about using localhost IMAP connections
on the server at work.  This is the University of Washington IMAP
server, often called imap-uw or UW or something like that.

I put dovecot on host X (different port that imap-uw), copied
SquirrelMail to another URL on host X, and pointed that copy of
SquirrelMail to dovecot.  This was fast.  Surprisingly fast.  Not sure
if it scales to the level that I need, but its very promising.

This will require a lot of migration work, though.  Its not
impossible, but its significant.  So I'm wondering why imap-uw would
just suddenly decide to go slower on localhost connections but not
connections from host Y.  I might have upgraded it a few work days
before the earliest reports of issues, but there should have been no
configuration changes.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Jaime