[CDBUG-talk] Port management

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Thu Jan 28 18:18:30 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Chuck Atkins <chuck.atkins at kitware.com> wrote:
> Of all the various package and port / package management tools available
> such as port{upgrade,manager,master} etc., I'm curious to see how you guys
> keep ports and packages up to date.  Care to share your methods?

I used to use cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile and then portupgrade -Rrnvi
<portname> on various ports to see what they'd do.  Then I'd use
portupgrade <portname> or even portupgrade -Rr <portname>, depending
on the circumstances.

I recently learned about portsnap.  I played with it a little so far.
Looks fantastic.

Hope that helps,
Jaime

P.S. - All the above is on FreeBSD