[CDBUG-talk] Abysmal wireless network performance.

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Fri Mar 5 08:18:00 EST 2010

On Mar 5, 2010, at 4:20 AM, Chuck Atkins <chuck.atkins at kitware.com>
wrote:

> I'm seeing some very poor performance when using WiFi and I don't
> really know where to start looking.

Any problem will become more obvious as more traffic is placed on the
link.  This is typically an exponential growth, too.

Have you checked the space near your computer and near your base to
see what other wifi networks are detectable?  Lately, I've been
finding a number of people with bases on the same channel as a
neighbor.  This might contribute to your problem.

If you find this, move to another channel.  Ideally, follow the 3-
channel-separation rule.  For example, if you see a lot of bases on
channels 6 and 11 and one on 8, then only 1 and 2 are viable for you.
This is because 3, 4, and 5 are your three channels of separation from
those bases on channel 6.

If there are no "good" channels, find the one with the fewest and
weakest competition for a signal near the base and your most common
work spaces.

Also, Apple's bases have a feature called "Interference Robustness."
it trades speed for stability (e.g. compensates for microwave ovens.)

Lastly, look at wifi noise levels.  Any decent wifi analysis tool will
tell you the noise level, the channel, and the signal strength.  The
"real" or "useable" signal is the signal minus the noise.  So reducing
noise can make a big difference.  Noise can be microwave ovens, some
cordless phones, and other kinds of wireless equiment.

Good luck,
Jaime