[CDBUG-talk] Dell R210

Kevin McAleavey kevinmca1 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 4 00:48:05 EDT 2011

Greetings from Voorheesville!

The sanest thing you could possibly do is copy off any data from that
drive which you need to keep and then boot from the DVD snapshot and go
the normal sysinstall route.

You cannot normally do a freebsd-upgrade from a release version to a
stable, and so the only way is through csup on an existing system.

>From my own notes here at the KNOS Project (forget where I copypasta'd
this from a long while ago but never bothered)

--- begin notes ---

this process contains two main steps: fetching the sources, and
compiling and installing the system.

Step 1 can easily be done by using csup (it's in the base) with the
following configuration:

This into /etc/make.conf:
SUP_UPDATE= yes
SUP= /usr/bin/csup
SUPFLAGS= -g -L 2
SUPHOST= cvsup.freebsd.org
SUPFILE= /etc/sup/stable.sup

This into /etc/sup/stable.sup:
*default host=cvsup.freebsd.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

You can of course select a mirror near your location.

The tag= parameter selects what you will get, e. g. a certain specific
RELEASE, patches for a RELEASE, STABLE, or even CURRENT. The keyword
RELENG_8 will give you 8-STABLE.

If you've updated your sorces, read /usr/src/UPDATING, and for the steps
how to start, refer to /usr/src/Makefile. You can also add compiling
options to /etc/make.conf to be involved here; a typical setting could
be setting CPUTYPE.

Then you start.

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld buildkernel
# make installkernel

Then reboot into single user mode:

# reboot
Ok
boot -s

When arriving at single user mode, check your partitions via fsck, and
then mount them (mount -a).

# cd /usr/src
# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# make delete-old
# mergemaster
# reboot

When you now have reached multi user mode again, finally do

# cd /usr/src
# make delete-old-libs

Check the result via

# uname -a

If you do have a custom kernel, add KERNCONF=<name> to the make
calls, e. g.

# make buildkernel KERNCONF=FOOBAR

or

# make installkernel KERNCONF=FOOBAR

respectively.

Finally, see the excellent documentation in the FreeBSD Handbook. It
should cover everything that hasn't been mentioned yet.

---

Kevin McAleavey
The KNOS Project
http://www.knosproject.com/