[CDBUG-talk] Slow LAMP apps

James L. Lauser james at jlauser.net
Mon Sep 30 17:34:48 EDT 2013

Hey Jamie. Some stuff to try:

* Make sure you increased MySQL's memory allocation from the defaults. Take
a look at /usr/local/share/mysql. There are sample my.cnf files in there
labeled "large" and "huge" consider one of those if you have lots of memory.
* Consider a PHP precompiler. I was using eaccelerator for a while and it
has pretty dramatic performance effects. Remember that PHP is an on-the-fly
interpreted language. In the general case, every script is recompiled every
time it gets called. That chews up precious milliseconds. eaccelerator (or
the like) will cache the compiled version and only recompile if the source
file changes.

--  James L. Lauser
    james at jlauser.net
    http://jlauser.net/