[CDBUG-talk] Stupid question

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Fri Sep 2 13:18:45 EDT 2016

All users have a crontab in /var.  The /etc/crontab file is a way of
putting things in a somewhat obvious place for ease of upkeep as services
are decommissioned, changed, or have their installed paths changed.

Also, someone said that crontab -e signals to the cron system that its data
was updated.  This isn't true.  Cron actually runs once each minute and
checks its settings to see if anything needs to be done.  At least, that
was my understanding in FreeBSD.  Perhaps other systems (e.g. cronie) are
different.  I know that Darwin's launchd runs constantly and only reads
config files under certain conditions, but launchd never reads crontabs, so
that isn't really apropos.

Jaime