[Semibug] Automotive Grade Linux

Thomas Levine _ at thomaslevine.com
Tue Aug 29 07:55:28 EDT 2017

Someone has pointed me to Automotive Grade Linux
(https://www.automotivelinux.org/), saying that it "looks super cool".

It seems mostly to be marketing for automobile industry stakeholders
rather than anything interesting; the software itself is, as far as
I can tell, an operating system that includes Linux, GNU utilities,
systemd, and a bespoke application development framework.
http://iot.bzh/download/public/2016/sdk/AGL-Devkit-Build-your-1st-AGL-Application.pdf

It has compile-time dependencies on cmake, npm (for AGL applications),
and other recent inventions, and it apparently is intended to have at
least read access to the steering wheel, speedometer, and tachometer.
http://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/getting_started/en/dev/reference/setup-sdk-environment.html
https://git.automotivelinux.org/apps/agl-service-steering-wheel/tree/README.md

I find this to be an interesting choice of base system. Can someone
point me to any examples of better operating systems being used in cars?