[Semibug] Questions about Vagrant Cloud boxes for BSDs

James E Keenan jkeenan at pobox.com
Tue Jul 11 21:19:25 EDT 2017

This post is directed toward anyone on list who has had experience using
the Vagrant boxes available on the "Vagrant Cloud"
(https://app.vagrantup.com/boxes/search) for working with the BSDs.

Specifically:

1. FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT

At https://app.vagrantup.com/freebsd/boxes/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT, I find
what appears to be links to weekly snapshot builds of 12.0-CURRENT, e.g.:

https://app.vagrantup.com/freebsd/boxes/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT/versions/2017.07.11
https://app.vagrantup.com/freebsd/boxes/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT/versions/2017.07.04

Each of these has a "vmware_desktop" version and a "virtualbox" version.
  I have experience in both kinds of VM.

What I would like to do with these boxes is:

* Install one each week.
* Configure as necessary to be able to test Perl 5 blead.  This would
require using 'pkg' to install perl, git, vim, certain perl libraries,
etc., in an automated way.
* Generate smoke test reports of perl 5 blead on FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT.
* Discard boxes after, say, 4 weeks.

Has anyone experience with something like this?  What have you learned
from that experience?

2. OpenBSD

I've never succeeded in getting a working (meaning:  connected to the
Internet) OpenBSD VM, but I see that boxes are available here:

https://app.vagrantup.com/boxes/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&sort=created&provider=&q=OpenBSD

I could use such a box to familiarize myself with OpenBSD as well as to
smoke test Perl.

Has anyone used such boxes to keep up with OpenBSD development?

3. NetBSD

I've never touched NetBSD at all, but boxes are available here:

https://app.vagrantup.com/boxes/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&sort=created&provider=&q=NetBSD

Same concern and questions as for OpenBSD.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan