[Semibug] DDNS & PTR

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com
Fri Apr 19 21:48:29 EDT 2019

Your current IP has no PTR at all. (That's what the NXDOMAIN below
means.)  Contact your ISP to have them set one.

$ dig -x 147.92.105.244

; <<>> DiG 9.12.4 <<>> -x 147.92.105.244
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
; COOKIE: 339b3c3612bc4e03c73a922f5cba7a1f2a143b9b08e9569a (good)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;244.105.92.147.in-addr.arpa.   IN      PTR

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 08:57:09PM -0400, Mark Moellering wrote:
> I don't have comcast service.?? I have golightspeed, which was just
> acquired by MetroNet.?? I have fiber to the home and port 25 is open :-)
>
> but I can't email anyone with a comcast address.?? Their mail server very
> helpful says:
>
> host mx1.comcast.net[96.114.157.80] refused to talk to me: 554
> resimta-po-34v.sys.comcast.net resimta-po-34v.sys.comcast.net
> 147.92.105.244 Comcast requires that all mail servers must have a PTR
> record with a valid Reverse DNS entry. Currently your mail server does
> not fill that requirement. For more information, refer to:
> http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#554
>
> There are other networks with similar messages.?? Right now, I have my
> domain through Godaddy.?? I will have to see if they offer DDNS
>

> Thanks for the reply
>

> -- Mark
>

> On 4/19/19 6:47 PM, Anthony Cascianelli wrote:
> > Comcast will sell you a static IP address. But you might be surprised at how seldom your Comcast IP changes. I???ve been in my current house for over 2 years and I???m pretty sure it???s never changed.
> >
> > How are you running a mail server on residential Comcast service?  I thought they specifically blocked inbound on those ports.
> >
> > Whose late you hosting your domain name through?  I use Namecheap and they offers a DDNS update service.
> >
> > Anthony Cascianelli
> >
> >> On Apr 19, 2019, at 8:29 PM, Mark Moellering <markmoellering at psyberation.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> How hard is it to get a PTR record for a dynamic (home) IP?  I am running my own email server and Comcast demands a PTR
> >>

> >> I think you can do it with DDNS but I am not sure of the best place to set that up.  Any pointers?  Is there any way to buy IP addresses and just have them forward to my home IP. or is that laughably difficult?
> >>
> >> Thanks, and I hope this makes it to the list
> >>

> >> -- Mark

Michael W. Lucas 	https://mwl.io/
author of: Absolute OpenBSD, SSH Mastery, git commit murder,
Immortal Clay, PGP & GPG, Absolute FreeBSD, etc, etc, etc...